Monday, February 22, 2010

Going with my Gut

Disclaimer: I will probably ramble. I have been debating whether or not I should write this post.

Last month Annamarye mentioned a few times in the car after school that she had a headache. I decided to take her and James to the eye doctor for a complete exam. I have a wonderful eye doctor and thought about taking them there. But I thought I'll ask a few friends with kids that wear glasses where they go. A couple of friends recommended the same doctor and she was fairly close so I thought we would try her out. Because of baseball practice, James' appointment was for last Friday. I took Annamarye on Thursday after school. From the minute I walked in the office, it just felt wrong. You know how you just have that gut feeling inside. Well, I had it. The doctor was nice, however she seemed to exam Annamarye a little too quickly and when I asked questions she was short with her answers and didn't explain anything. I got the feeling that no matter what everyone that walked in her office left with glasses. She said that Annamarye was slightly far sighted and needed glasses. Needless to say she didn't seem too happy when I said we would look around at other places at glasses before deciding.

I came home and immediately called my eye doctor and made an appointment for James and Annamarye. I then looked on the Internet and learned that it isn't uncommon for school age children to be far sighted and that glasses aren't recommended because given time they will outgrow it. Something she didn't volunteer.

I debated posting this because I don't want to hurt the friends I know that go see this doctor. Their circumstances may be completely different from Annamarye's. I just know it didn't seem right to me and I had to go with my gut. I encourage everyone to do the same!

I'll let you know what happens after the next eye appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment