Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Glad I went with my Gut!

I checked the kids out and took them to my eye doctor - Dr. Michael Blackburn at Oak Mountain Family Eye Care. If you need an eye doctor, I would highly recommend him!! Not just because he said neither of my kids needed glasses, but because he was wonderful with the kids and took his time and explained everything to me! I have worn contacts and glasses since I was around 12 years old, so going to the eye doctor is nothing new for me. But, he did a fabulous job explaining step by step with the kids - to me and them. James and Annamarye are both slightly far sighted. James is actually a little more far sighted than Annamarye. They both see 20/20 and their eyes work together. He said everyone is born far sighted and it does usually correct itself. The reason glasses are not usually suggested (if they see 20/20 and their eyes work together well) is that they don't make a big enough difference. I am near sighted, so when I put on my glasses or contacts it makes a huge difference. With them at this point, putting on glasses won't really matter. They won't have that sense of "Wow" I can see! Another factor has to do with the curve of the eye when he looks at it after it is dilated. I'm not sure all the technical details about this. I will continue to watch and take them for check ups to make sure glasses aren't needed down the road. But for now, I feel much much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment