Sunday, October 18, 2009

Children and Funerals

Children are funny! I love the things that come of my kids' mouths! Until my Father passed away, my children had never been to a funeral, visitation or a funeral home. Needless to say it was all very interesting to them. Johnny and I talked with them after my Father passed about the days ahead and what to expect. I knew they would keep me going and while I felt it was important they see the grieving process, I wanted to have some control over my emotions. They provided some much needed comic relief.

We had a closed casket, but had it open for the family to view. James wanted to know if they sawed off Granddaddy's legs to get him in the casket. James also kept referring to the visitation as "Granddaddy's reunion". Which is ironic, because as we all get busy in our daily lives, how often do funerals end up being "reunions". I know growing up there were cousins on my Dad's side I never saw except at funerals.

Finally, while driving to the graveside, James and Annamarye were commenting on all of the headstones as if it were a parade. They described each one, made fun of some and picked out which kind they wanted. While it was a difficult day, it was great to have the kids there to lighten the mood. I was worried how it would effect them and as usual my worries were for nothing. I truly believe they have taken this experience and it has made them stronger.

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3.

We went by the day after the service and the kids had to have their picture made! Actually, they wanted to run around and have their picture made at the ones they liked but I wouldn't let them.

No comments:

Post a Comment