Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm Itchy!

Some of you know exactly where I am headed with this! I hate to even say the word... Lice! My blood pressure is rising as I type! Let me begin by saying about 3 weeks ago I got the phone call that Annamarye had lice. There were 4 kids in her class that had it. I went and got her, treated her and checked her hair strand by strand. I sectioned it off and even had James hold the flashlight for me! Let me tell you it was quite the sight! I followed up with the treatment, bought some kind of zapper comb (that costs $30) and checked her regularly.

Well, I got a call the other day from the nurse again that she had it. I couldn't believe she had it again!! Everyone had told me it is very hard to get rid of and once it gets in a class, it goes around and around.
Anyway, the nurse said Annamarye had nits all in her hair so I am thinking she has stuff crawling all over head! I get there and the nurse couldn't even find one to show me. Now she did have a bug that was in her hair so I called Johnny and got a prescription treatment this time. (A nice perk having a husband that is a physician). I checked her and the "nits" the nurse saw were flakes of her scalp from all of the treatments. To say I was a little perturbed is an understatement. On a side note the prescription treatment costs $156.95!! And that is generic! Thank goodness insurance covered it and it only costs me $10. I would have paid the $156.95 though. When Johnny got home he checked her and found no nits either. I called the pediatricians office the next day and they said if I did the prescription she is good. They recommend a treatment called "Nuvo" using Cetaphil facial soap. Because I am tired of this I kept her home and did that treatment too. I plan on doing another one Wednesday night since the kids are out of school on Thursday.

I had my hair done on Friday and had Jackie, my hairdresser, check me and I'm good. I also had her check Annamarye and she found nothing either.

My biggest concern now is keeping her from getting it again! I have talked with so many moms who have had or are going through the same thing right now!! I don't think the school is doing a good job checking everyone and keeping it away. One student in Annamarye's class had several nits in her hair was sent back to class!!

I make Annamarye wear her hair in a braided ponytail now and I spray it with this lice preventative spray, which stinks to high heaven!! I also spray hairspray on it. Keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment