Friday, March 27, 2009

Storm is Coming

Have you ever read the book, Storm is Coming by Heather Tekavec? It is a really cute book where all the barnyard animals hear the farmer say that Storm is coming. Thinking Storm is a somebody they all crowd into the barn to wait. As the storm approaches, they look at the positive. For example, the dark is good because Storm can't see them in the dark, the wind will scare Storm away, the rain will wash away their tracks, the flashing sky will blind Storm, the thunder is the clouds growling at Storm. All the animals cheer! Then it gets quiet and the animals hear someone coming toward the door. I won't spoil the ending, but it is a really cute book. My kids love it and ask to read it whenever the weather is supposed to get bad. Like the past several days and again tonight.

It all began here Thursday morning. I woke up around 4:00 to rain and thunder and knew Annamarye would soon wake up. Soon after she woke up the power went out. We got James and all piled in the bed together and tried to go back to sleep. Annamarye and I dozed, Johnny gave up and got up and ready for work and James asked "can we get up now?" a hundred times. Around 5:00 he wanted to get up and play a game! Now, I absolutely LOVE board games! But not at 5:00 in the morning with no power! Finally around 7:00 the power came back on, just in time to grab breakfast and head to school.


We had round 2 this morning. It was much like last night, but started around 3:00 and the power came back on around 6:00. However, not knowing when the power would come back on, around 4:30, before Johnny left for work, I had to go back my car out of the garage. I park at the top garage and it is a double door. I can unlatch it but it is too heavy for me to push where it will stay for me to get my car out. Anyway, finally I got back in bed and got a little sleep.

James woke up with a fever this morning and just not feeling well. No other symptoms, thank goodness. So he stayed home with me. It is so funny how we do things with our kids from our childhood. Whenever my sister and I were sick we always got situated on the couch and my Mom would set up the TV tray. I did the same years ago for one of mine and ever since then, that is the FIRST thing they ask for! Here's James settled in on the couch.




I waited on James all day but it was Daddy who made the day when he came home with coke icees, the movie Bolt and two new Wii games for James and Annamarye.
Wish us luck as we get prepared for tonight's storm. James was supposed to play his 2nd ball game in the morning at 8:30, at the field at 7:30! But they have already cancelled the game. He probably wouldn't have been able to play anyway. It is always nice when they cancel it ahead of time rather than having to get up early and wait for the decision.
Maybe we'll get to sleep in tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment